Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is a particular set of reactions that can develop in people who have been through a traumatic event which threatened their life or safety or that of others around them. This could be due to a car or other serious accidents, physical/ sexual assault, war, or disasters such as earthquakes and floods. As a result, the person experiences feelings of intense fear, helplessness and/ or horror.
According to the DSM-5 (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders), the symptoms of PTSD include
- Irritable behavior and angry outbursts (with little or no provocation) typically expressed as physical or verbal aggression towards people or object.
- Reckless or self-destructive behavior
- Exaggerated startle response
- Problems with concentration
- Sleep Disturbance (include nightmares/ flashbacks, difficulty falling or staying asleep)
- Avoidance of situations that bring back the trauma
- Intrusive memories,
- Negative alterations in cognitions and mood associated with the traumatic events.
These symptoms can vary over time or from person to person.
The management plan for PTSD includes Counseling, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing, Progressive Muscle Relaxation, Desensitization, Neurofeedback, Past Life Regression, Hypnotherapy, and Sound Healing.
If you’re seeking post-traumatic stress disorder treatment in Mumbai, our therapists at Mind Over Image consulting are widely regarded as the best psychologists for PTSD in Mumbai.